Email: legitbaking@yahoo.com

Monday, January 3, 2011

Alfred- Dark Chocolate Cupcake

He spends all day taking care of the man who plays by day and fights by night. He has readily given his life over to care for the boy left parentless so many years ago. He is multi-talented and a necessary component of the Bat-family. Alfred. Alfred Pennyworth, guardian & butler to Bruce Wayne and the man who is, Batman's Batman. Alfred is a memorable character in the DC Universe and it might be safe to say he is loved by many fans.

Alfred is always on his feet...tending to Wayne Manor, the Batcave and the Batman Family. But this butler has always provided a comical relief to the darkness that follows his master. I've always been able to see Alfred's "fun" side. The side that remembers the day of "letting down his hair" and being a playboy, actor (you know he was totally a stud growing up haha).

I had a cupcake in mind to make, but no character to claim it. Then as different Superhero/villains were dancing in my head Alfred took the stage and stole the cupcake.

A butler always wears black and white. My cupcake is black and white. Butlers pretend (or at least I like to think they do) that they are one dimensional...no fun...no flair, but in reality it's just a show. They do have a secret fun side! Alfred's cupcake is a Dark Chocolate Cake with an Oreo Filling sprinkled with crushed Oreos. Yum. See? Black & White. But the whole Oreo flair adds a different fun side to the whole sophisticated look.

I've tried different ways of making Dark Chocolate cake, but nothing has ever tasted dark chocolaty to me. So I did a little research and found that if you use Dutch Processed Cocoa you'll end up with a darker tasting cake. I went and purchased a can and viola! it was a darker chocolate. Then for the Oreo topping I went a-looking to see if I could find a recipe that would help me re-create that famous Oreo filling. I refused to just pull apart a bunch of cookies, whip the filling and pipe it on my cupcakes. Um ew. So I found a recipe that looked promising and wearily tried it out. OMFG! It tastes so close to the real thing...except I think mine is kinda better. Haha.

I knew it would be too thick to pipe so I started plopping away. I made sure each jumbo Dark Chocolate cupcake (oh! and btw...I didn't go with a traditional liner! I found some super cute parchment paper and used that instead! It added a poshy look to the whole feel!) had a hefty topping of my Oreo filling and then crushed some real Oreos and sprinkled, sprinkled, sprinkled. :-)




You know that after each long day Alfred is ready to kick off his shiny shoes, throw on a silky robe, grab a cup of coffee and just melt into a leather recliner. But what's relaxing without a little sweet snack? So back in the kitchen he goes to grab an "Alfred's Cupcake". A cupcake that has captured his sophisticated and fun side, oh so well. Eat up, Alfred. You know Batman will be calling you back into the Batcave in just a little while...

2 comments:

Trista said...

Absolutely lovely. :)

So, who would the dark chocolate with chili pepper be? ;)

Jennifer Owens said...

I love how you wrote this. Very creative and fun. (o: