Email: legitbaking@yahoo.com

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Riddler- Key Lime Cupcake

This weekend I decided to make a batch of cupcakes for my sister-in-laws birthday. I decided to go with a Key Lime Cupcake and a White Chocolate Frosting (and yes, this one was definitely a frosting!). I wasn't sure how the two would mix, but experimenting with cupcakes is so much fun.

The cupcakes took a while to figure out...and adding the zest was rather a pain. Literally. Those little key limes are so tiny that I had to make sure I didn't end up adding a little finger zest (ew...okay I think I threw up in my mouth haha). But baking is dangerous people...I did manage to hurt myself in another way. A strand of my hair kept falling into my eyes so I pushed it back only to realize I got some batter on myself. Frustrated I reached up real fast to wipe it off when...hahaha...I punched myself in the face. Real smooth. I stood there laughing in pain. I'm a klutz...next time I'll just leave the batter on me...probably safer that way.

I generally don't fill up my cups all the way when they are about to bake. Tends to create a little overflow. So I filled the cups up a little more than halfway with my rather thick batter and popped them into the oven. When the timer finally beeped at me I pulled my little babies out and realized something was wrong. The cupcakes were smaller and had completely pulled away from the liner! What?! I went from having normal sized un-cooked cupcakes to mini cupcakes. This had definitely never happened to me before! I thought that maybe I could stack one on top of the other to create a tall frosted cupcake, but realized that while it would look cute it would be impossible to pick up and eat without covering your fingers in the icing. Not very practical.

My hubby told me that I should just start over and he would keep those for himself (no hidden motive there haha). He even helped me the second time since it was almost midnight at this point. This time I filled those babies up all the way! There still remained an obvious problem. The moment I placed my cups in the oven and the rising started to occur those cupcakes would start running into each other like a crazy mob on Black Friday...and not to mention they would probably get all brown around the edges. It felt like from the beginning these cupcakes were throwing out riddles for me at ever turn! Then my clever man came up with a solution. He cut several strips of parchment paper for me so I could create little individual barriers. They ended up looking a little like cones though, but it worked!!


Once they were baked I pulled out my cupcakes, unwrapped them, and viola! The cupcakes were a beautiful color and nice and tall. Usually cupcakes come out rounded on the top or they'll stay level, but these came out tall and the tops were perfect round circles. I frosted all my new cupcakes with the White Chocolate Frosting (yuuum btw!), rolled the edge of the cupcake in graham crackers, and topped it off with a sugared key lime slice and an angled piece of graham cracker. They all looked and tasted like key lime pies!

It was quite obvious that this riddle of a cupcake would be perfect for the one and only, Riddler.



1 comment:

anna said...

The part about you punching yourself in the face made me laugh...I'm sorry! Baking is so dangerous...

But here's a riddle from the Riddler himself that I thought would be appropriate:

How do you make a dishonest shortcake?

Answer to come in the next episode!!!