Email: legitbaking@yahoo.com

Friday, April 22, 2011

Cake Pops


Of course it's obvious I'd be making cupcakes for Easter, but I really wanted to add another element to my Easter desserts.
I love cake pops! I love how they look and how they taste. And I just had to try them out. Nuff' said. :-)



Cake Pops

1 box cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)

1 can frosting (16 oz.)
Wax paper
Candy MeltsLollipop Sticks

  1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
  2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can frosting.
  3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
  4. Melt chocolate in the microwave per directions on package.
  5. Dip the tip of your lollipop stick in a little of the melted candy coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)
  6. Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.
  7. Once firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.
  8. Place in a styrofoam block to dry.

The recipe looked easy enough so I was pretty excited to start making these little
guys.

The only problem was...they aren't that easy.

Oh, the first couple steps are. Baking the cake, crumbling and adding the frosting was all easy. I actually think that the cake needed 1 1/2 cans of frosting, but all I had was one. Also, make sure your cake is completely cooled. I didn't wait and my little balls had a harder sticking together.




I made the mistake of misreading the directions and put the rolled balls into the fridge first rather than waiting till after I placed the sticks in them. I see now that the lollipop stick would have stuck better if I had let it firm up in the freezer and then dunked the whole thing in the melted chocolate. Stupid mistake.


Since the balls kept trying to pop off the stick (causing me much anger and frustration) I spooned the chocolate on the balls rather than dunking. I didn't get a nice clean look, but at least I got it on there successfully!

This is where it becomes time consuming by the way. I would not recommend making cake pops if you don't have at least 2 - 2 1/2 hours to spend. My first time making cake pops took almost three hours with all the problems I had.


Once you add the chocolate, immediately add any sprinkles etc. If you don't the chocolate will harden quickly and you won't be able to decorate.
I would also recommend piercing your Styrofoam block with the lollipop sticks before you start anything. This will allow you to just place the cake pop onto the block without any trouble.

The first Cake Pop of Fail batch. Haha. They weren't that bad. Just not perfect like I had wanted.


Second batch was easier, but I didn't try to decorate these. My patience was wearing thin by this time. :-)


Keep your cake pops in the fridge until your going to "serve" them. They taste fine room temp, but having that chilled feeling is awesome and the chocolate "crunches" more when you bite into it!

They don't look perfect, but they were a big hit with the family!


Don't forget: Bite...don't lick! :-)







I'm definitely going to keep making cake pops! I am determined to make these little guys to perfection (or as close to perfection as you can get)! Cake Pops are definitely worth it! :-)


2 comments:

Jennifer Owens said...

I'm SO excited that you did these!! I've done cake balls before, which aren't nearly as cute, because there is no stick. If I asked really nice, could you make cake pops and cupcakes for Shelley's shower for me?! (o: I need to place my official order soon anyway. <3

anna said...

These cake pops were the best things I have ever eaten. How did you keep them so moist inside? delicious!!!